Why ‘there and back again books’?
Partly because it’s a lovely metaphor for the editing process, but mostly because I’m a hobbit and an enormous nerd : D
Where are you located?
Southeast England, but I accept work from anywhere in the world.
What kinds of manuscripts do you accept?
All manner of stories, from short stories and novellas to full length novels. I also accept unfinished manuscripts, and will work with you at any stage on developing your story.
What genres do you accept?
While I’m happy to read most manuscripts, I specialise in science fiction, fantasy, and romance, for both adult fiction and YA. I’m particularly interested in:
- urban fantasy
- historical fiction
- lgbtqa+ romance
- consensual bdsm
- subversive/revisionist faerie tales
- genre bending speculative fiction
- #ownvoices – stories by marginalised identities
- Also robots and dragons. Can never have enough!
What stories will you not accept?
- hard boiled crime
- unhappily ever afters
- excessive violence and gore/torture porn
- erotica with emphasis on nonconsensual acts
Do you offer any specialty services?
I sure do!
Britpicking – checking the text for localised language, words, and spelling, converting US to UK English and vice versa
Brainstorming – if at any point in your draft you feel stuck or uninspired, we can schedule a session of communication to discuss it, over email or googledocs, to ask questions designed to help kickstart ideas so you are ready to carry on with the story
Sensitivity reading – if your story involves any of the following, I can look over it to help ensure a sensitive and aware portrayal:
- Jewish characters
- chronic insomnia
- chronic illness (IBS, fibromyalgia)
- mental health (anxiety, depression)
- neurodiversity (dyspraxia, autism spectrum, avoidant personality disorder)
What are your rates?
- I charge a flat rate of $.006 / £.005 per word for the initial edit pass (equivalent to about $300 / £250 for a 50k manuscript) and offer a discounted rate of $.004 / £.003p per word for each subsequent pass requested
- Britpicking and sensitivity reading are $.004/ £.003p per word
- Brainstorming sessions are £10 per half hour and can be tweaked to suit your needs
What is your editorial approach?
I would like you to think of me as your editorial companion, available to support and guide you at any point you need assistance with the formation of your story. I’m not here to change your words, only encourage them to be the best they can be.
I prefer to work with an author through at least two drafts, as this allows me the best insight into both the writer and the writing process, and means I can be most useful as the manuscript develops.
This philosophy is reflected in my rates structure, as I give substantial discounts on subsequent drafts.
How do I contact you?
You can get in touch via email, and I should be able to respond within 24 hours of your query.
How do I pay you?
My preferred payment method is PayPal, however I am open to discussing other options via email on a case by case basis.